Friday, July 15, 2011

Cry Havoc by William Todd Rose......OMG!!

$2.99 on B&N but Free with code SSWSF at Smashwords through July 31

The city is embroiled in chaos: street fights rage with the ferocity of urban warfare, buildings burn unchecked, and blood flows along the sidewalks. Though they can see the anarchy through their windows, two couples struggle to maintain a sense of normality within the confines of their home, never dreaming of the lengths some of them will go to just to stay alive.


No idea where to begin on this one. It blew my mind!! I don't normally read horror or gory stuff and I can assure you I had not intended to. I thought this would be a survival type book. You know...the two couples trapped in their apartment while the world fell down around their ears and how they "made it". It couldn't have been any further from that.....but it was a survival story alright!!

In the beginning I was almost having an anxiety attack at the attitude of these two couples. I mean if I was watching looting, killing and raping from my gated apartment window I wouldn't be making a cup of coffee and having an intellectual discussion. My mind was SCREAMING at the characters to start prepping....get your home ready. Hunker down!! But like I said this wasn't that type of story.

I don't want to say too much more in case you decide to read it. I will say that there is some strong language....I said a few "OH----" myself at several points. I caught myself wanting the story to be over, so why didn't I just quit reading?? I COULDN'T!!!!!

I really loved the way the author emphasised the old stereotype of  "poor little woman....scared to death...won't be able to make it on her own" through Richard's character and then BLEW IT OUT OF THE WATER!!

The last thing I will say is this....if you read this and you have small children.....make sure they are asleep!! Mine were not. When I stepped outside to make a post on FB last night they jumped out at me when I came in and scared the pee out of me!!!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Melissa~ I'm so glad you enjoyed Cry Havoc and can't help but admit that I giggled wickedly at some points of your review :) I'm currently working on a sequel to The 7 Habits of Highly Infective People, but plan on revisting Polly in the near future with Book 2: The Dogs of War. Again, however, thanks for giving my book a chance and for your kind words. Warmest regards, Todd Rose

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so welcome. Honestly, your book was the FIRST horror type book I have read. No matter how many times I thought...."UGH....GROSS...." I just could NOT put it down. I'll be keeping you on my "favorites" list for future book reads. When you get something ready PLEASE let me know. Thanks for taking the time to stop by!! ~Melissa

    ReplyDelete