Thursday, July 14, 2011

One Day Left by Alba Lewis......Glad it was free

$5.99 at B&N and Amazon, Free at Smashwords until July 31 with code SSWSF

One Day Left is a story about Mick who has gone in to the local hospice for respite care. While he is there he faces memories that he would rather have left hidden, especially when he saves a young cleaner who tries to kill herself. When we meet Louise who has just been dumped by her love, we find out how she copes with loss and finding out that her grandfather, a man she has never met, is in a hospice nearby. When Louise finally gets to the hospice her grandfather’s life is slipping away.

I was so excited about grabbing this book for Free. I mean look at the price being charged at Amazon and B&N for it....I just knew I had gotten a good one. I'm sorry to say I did not.

The story idea was great. Who can not relate in some way to a cancer patient and hospice? It had all of the elements in the synopsis to really grab the reader....family dysfunction, dying grandfather....but the synopsis and the letter to the reader at the beginning and end of the story was the best part about it.

I'm no prude, but some of the language at the beginning (one word in particular) almost caused me to put the book down totally. The real "meat and potatoes" of it didn't take place until the last few pages. I will admit that those few pages were so touching that they pulled tears from these eyes, and for that I can't say that reading it was a total loss. I'm just glad I didn't pay for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment