Monday, August 29, 2011

A Boy's Reading List

My son is not into the sci-fi, paranormal, vampire-werewolf type books. If you look around you will see lots of it, so it's been a bit challenging to find books that he wants to read. He has finally compiled a list of books that fits his interest and I thought I'd share it here in case you have a boy in the 9-12 year old range.

Storm Warriors

BL 5.2
$5.51 on Nook and $5.99 on Kindle
The year is 1895 and young Nathan Williams wants nothing more than to be a "storm warrior," one of the brave men of the U.S. Lifesaving Service on Pea Island, off the North Carolina shore. Again and again, Nathan has helped the team rescue frightened sailors from floundering ships during the winter storm season. But Nathan's father is a fisherman, and he expects Nathan to be the same. After all, Pea Island is the single station open to African American surfmen, and the precious few jobs are passed from father to son. Still, Nathan is coached in lifesaving skills by the Pea Island crew and dares to hope that one day he may share in their ranks. But after helping with a particularly difficult rescue, Nathan is forced to face the truth: "In that moment I knew, without a shred of doubt, that I did not have the courage to risk my life that way. The dream, and all the months of hoping, blew away as quickly as the foam off the waves." After a close friend makes clear the obvious, Nathan realizes that there are other ways to save lives and discovers his true destiny.


The War with Grandpa (Yearling)

BL 3.9
$6.99 on Nook and Kindle
Peter has lived in the same room his whole life and he loves it. He also loves his grandfather. But when his grandfather moves to his house and takes his room, Peter has to relocate upstairs. Peter wants his room back, so he “declares war” and starts playing pranks on his grandfather. Grandpa knows a few pranks of his own and humorous hijinks ensue. In the end, both grandparent and child are able to face their personal losses. Nicholas Kelly does a good job of recreating Pete's authentic 10-year-old voice, perfectly capturing its rhythm and inflection. He also voices the other characters well, moving easily from old to young, and male to female. The emotions of the various characters are clearly portrayed, from grandfather's exasperation to the parents' concern and the sister's taunting. A good way to introduce an older classic to a new generation of children

The Lemonade War (The Lemonade War Series)

2 comments:

  1. I'm with you. I have a terrible time finding books at the library for my son, who is 9 and an advanced reader. A lot are on the ghost, ghoul, vampire, magic end of the spectrum and he's just not interested. If you find others your son likes, let me know! Mine recently found Charlie & the Chocolate Factory and the 2nd one (Glass Elevator?) and loves those. And he loves the 39 Clues series.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laura...I don't know what happened but the complete list did not post and I can't believe I did not catch it!! Sooo...I'm working on a new list. As soon as I get it together I will post it. Are you subscribed to the blog or do you follow it? If not just check back. I hope to have it up by the weekend. Thanks again for checking the blog out. I love getting comments and chatting about topics :-)

    ReplyDelete