Wednesday, June 18, 2014

No More Dancing With Unicorns

I quit on politics and in some ways I feel like I quit on my country. This may sound like a pretty dramatic and ignorant statement coming from a "Nobody-Stay-at-Home-Mom." I mean I'm not Military...no one important or even someone who anyone listens too on even a small to medium scale. Let me explain...

I am PASSIONATE about my country, our freedom, our military and all of the sacrifices made by those in order for my family to live in peace. For as long as I remember I have been a "news freak" and was obsessed with current events. My Daddy used to always demand silence when it was time for the news. He always told us "You better pay attention to what's going on around you." Anyone who knows me knows that I take my Daddy's directions and words pretty serious, so I have always made it a point to pay attention and be as knowledgeable as possible about current events.

After Obama was re-elected to a second term I felt like it no longer mattered. My voice didn't matter and my vote didn't matter. America was changing and there was nothing I could do about it. No one seemed to care. So I quit....I quit watching the news. I quit reading the newspaper or browsing the web. I no longer shared things that I found on social media or even talked about them. What was the point? I quit serving my country in the only way I could and that was by using my head and exercising my rights.

A friend of mine on Facebook made a very simple post on his page:

Mohamed Elibiary / U.S.A. security advisor. ???? How much do you know about this man?

After googling the name and reading just HALF of an article, I decided it's time to pull my head out of the sand and quit daydreaming with the unicorns and get back to reality. Will anything I post or blog about make a difference? Probably not. I don't have an audience of followers and I don't have a lot of letters behind my name, BUT if I post one thing....just ONE thing that might make someone THINK, RESEARCH and START A CONVERSATION about just what the heck is going on in this country then my job is done.

Today my friend reminded me how important all of our voices are. Tonight I start down that road again.....trying to start a conversation....trying to be heard.

No comments:

Post a Comment